I recently found a need to install, remove and update Chrome Android (specifically, the Chromium Test Shell) on my devices and emulators at fairly regular intervals.
After a bit of Googling, I found Paul Kinlan's install-chromeandroid.sh shell script to help automate the process. In true community developer form, he kindly put it on GitHub and asked for improvements.
- More robust installer script that checks requirements along the way (i.e., has the APK been downloaded?) and aborts if they are unmet. This also allows the script to be better-suited to automated or event-triggered environments.
- Installer script accepts and passes on to `adb` three commonly-used command line flags:
- -l which forward-locks the app
- -r which reinstalls the app, keeping its data
- -s which installs on SD card instead of internal storage
- I also added a simple updater and deleter (the latter of which is largely unnecessary but what the heck…)
I've been using it to great effect since.